Oohlalaa…It took Finland of nearly two months but we finally got summer at the end of July. I was so excited about this that I actually made something for myself to wear! A maxi skirt! And it’s so pretty!
I had 1,5mx1,4m sized piece of this floral viscose. Originally I had planned to make a couple of infinity scarves out of it, but my procrastination helped me to save the fabric for something better; a skirt. The construction for this is very simple and there is no cutting waste, which is a huge plus at this day and age.
First, I sewed the ends of the fabric together to create a french seam. Since the floral pattern over here is an all-over pattern, I didn’t have to worry about the direction. I wanted to save the selvages for the waistband and the hem, so I wouldn’t have to do unnecessary folding and pressing. I could leave them as is in there. Here’s an image of the french seam and the waist band fold:
The waistband was easy to do. I just folded the top, stitched it down leaving a few centimeter opening for the elastic insertion. I used 5 cm wide elastic to prevent ‘digging in’, which happens quite often with the narrower ones. After I had pulled the elastic through, I sewed the ends together with repeated zig zag stitch. Then I closed the opening with a straight stitch. It looks like this on the right side:
At this point I put the skirt on to see how much extra I had in the bottom. Since I’m 165cm tall, I had about 25 centimeters to work with. Personally I’m huge fan of wide hems. They look more expensive and in this case, as the viscose is very light weight, it added weight and pull. Again, I used the selvage, so I didn’t have to do an extra fold to hide an unsightly raw edge. I just used a quilting ruler to make sure I had an even fold all the way round, pinned it in few places, pressed it with my iron and sewed away. If you squint, you can see the stitching in the hem:
And here’s my finished look. I DID have a pictures of me wearing it but my friend, who is an engineer, takes so unflattering photos that I usually just scream with horror when I see them, so I decided to spare you from the trauma. But I’m pretty pleased with the look and the skirt anyway.
If you have any questions, or if you’d like to see a Burda-style flat drawing of this to help you make one for yourself, just give me a shout out in the comments. I have another maxi-skirt to show you but it’s a more complicated one and I’m posting it later this week. If I get around to it that is :D
P.S. Funny story…I decided to wear this skirt the same day I made it. My friend (the engineer one) asked me to join him at a park in Helsinki for some sun and cider. I got a bike this summer, so I decided to bike to Helsinki. A breezy 10 kilometres (and further 3-4 kilometres to the park), nothing I couldn’t handle. Of course at this point I didn’t think of the possibility, that a maxi skirt is not the best choice of attire, when cycling. A not so tiny security risk of having the hem getting stuck between the gears. Lucky for me, that didn’t happen. But what DID happen…In one zebra crossing or another, I had gotten off the bike and when I’d gotten back on, I didn’t lift enough extra fabric behind me to allow my butt to move inside the skirt. There was tension. Which caused a rip. Which then showed my coral pink granny panties for god knows how many kilometers. I should have realized, when people kept passing me on their bikes and looking back at me smiling, that something might be amiss.
Well, at least I made some people happy. And my friend had sewing kit, so I could mend the hole and continue our day at the park. But still. Yet another cringe-worthy moment in my life.