I’ve been sitting on this project for a while and today, I’m finally sharing it. In July I made this fabulous maxi skirt out of a vintage curtain and I love it so so much. I’ve had the curtain in my stash (and sometimes up on my window) for years, because I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t waste it. And here it is:
There’s only one seam and it’s in the back. I flipped the curtain sideways as I felt, that there is no noticeable direction on the floral banners, so I could A. have horizontal stripes and B. I could save the other curtain for another project.
The waistband is the wider hem of the curtain. The belt is the narrower hem. One wasn’t enough for the belt though and I cut the narrow hem off the other curtain. The belt is attached on the back, where buttons would normally close the waistband:
The belt is attached little bit off center. I tried to figure out a prettier way of doing this and this was the best my mind could come up with. The cotton in this fabric is very thick and strong, so I could get away with this ‘industrial’ look.
The pockets…I’m lazy and can’t be bothered to look up the name of the exact technique I used but if you sew, you should be able to recognize it:
The visible portion of the pocket was cut from the other curtain and for the pocket facing I used grey, lattice patterned cotton. No one can see it, but I know it’s there and it’s nice to know it matches the skirt’s colours.
Ta-dah! I wear the skirt with the stripy shirt and a huge sun hat. Of which I don’t have a pic (well I did take a shot but I managed to get my boob in the picture too and I don’t think you are too keen to see that). Here’s an Insta picture. It’s not a good one as I just took it to show to my friend.
And here I am, wearing it in the park:
Hopefully you like it as much as I do. Originally I paid under 10 euros for the curtains and I had the facing material, thread, and the zipper already in my stash. Very thrifty indeed!